Friday, January 22, 2016

Solo Travel vs. Traveling with Others

Picture this scenario: You and your best friend from home decide to fuck everything and backpack for three months internationally. You've bought your plane tickets, have your passports, and have chosen a backpack that is to your liking. You both are excited to get away and happy that you're doing it together; it seems much scarier facing this trip alone. What could possibly go wrong?

Apparently, a lot of things.

I've recently gone through a travel experience very similar to this scenario. Me and one of my good friends decided to backpack together. We both shared this sense of wander and open-mindedness, and we wanted to experience traveling together. We weren't best friends, but we were close enough to willingly go with each other. But, what I didn't realize was that even if you choose to travel with your best friend in the entire world, that doesn't mean that you're going to get along during a backpacking trip.

Think about it: you spend nearly every day with this same person. Almost every minute. It makes sense that tensions are going to run high, and I'm sure it's normal for group travelers to get on each other's nerves. But once you feel as if the trip is being brought down because of your travel companions, you know you need to cut the cord.

Without going into much detail, we basically just differed too much in personality. We were friends in the normal New Jersey world, but in the wild world of travel, we just weren't compatible. I noticed that there was a bit of tension between us during the first week, and I had messaged a friend back at home about it.

"You need to say something. My biggest regret when I was traveling was not saying something when I should of," he told me.

And though I knew he was right, I struggle with confrontation and let my feelings brood until it became unbearable. We were bringing each other down in different ways, and eventually I decided that I would much rather travel alone, and we went our separate ways.

Once I started my solo leg of this three month excursion, I immediately felt different; the metaphorical weight was lifted off of my shoulders despite my heavy backpack. I wasn't angry or burdened or unhappy. I began to enjoy myself, and I think she did too.

Though solo traveling seems nerve-racking (and I totally understand the feeling), I'm an advocator for it. I believe that it's the best way to travel, and from now on it will most likely be the only way that I travel.

But isn't traveling alone dangerous?

Meh, dangerous isn't how I would describe it, though it is of course situational based on which country you are traveling solo to. But dangerous? I would rather use the word challenging, it's much more appropriate.

Then again, I always like to say that you normally choose the danger that is set upon you. For example, if you put yourself in a vulnerable situation, say like leaving your wallet open where someone can easily steal your cash, that most certainly is a dangerous situation, but a situation that you nonetheless brought on yourself (and it's happened to me, it sucks). If you're going out, watch your drinks and your belongings. If someone strange approaches you, they are most likely just trying to sell you something; ignore them to your best efforts. If you're having sex, use a condom. It's usually very simple.

Of course, there are situations out of your control that most certainly can be dangerous, but if you keep your guard up, you can avoid or at least lessen the danger posed to you.

Doesn't it get lonely?

It's strange for me to admit it because I'm am someone who really enjoys my alone time, but the inevitable answer is: yes. It can get lonely at times. But I'd like to think that how you deal with that loneliness is a reflection of your growth and maturity.

However, there are usually hostels that you can stay at where you share a room with about 6-10 people, so if you ever are feeling lonely during your travels, there's always someone that you can find to talk to. You'd be surprised by how many solo travelers you'll encounter (I found it interesting that they were mostly girls my age). You might even find someone or a group of people to travel with.

You've got some balls to travel alone, that's terrifying. 

I could say the same for those who choose to travel with others. You've got some balls man, that's a real commitment. And trust me, I'm not putting myself on some kind of high horse pedestal. I'm a real bitch to travel with. I can be negative and moody. At times, I can be very apathetic and selfish; not really caring about what other people want. I like my alone time. Social situations sometimes give me anxiety, and there are days where I just don't feel like talking to anyone. I'm surprised that my travel companion stayed with me as long as she did. Some people are just meant to travel alone.

However, if you do have a friend or a group of friends that you are planning to travel with, do it with an open mind and positive attitude, I'm sure you will have a great time. Just be a bit weary about it, and if you realize during the course of the trip that it's not working out, just tell them. It's perfectly okay to go your separate ways and reunite later on. Like I said, it's a commitment traveling with someone else. Sometimes you just want to wake up and start your day on your own terms, and there's nothing wrong with that. Just make sure you say something. I made the mistake of not saying something and it costed me a friendship.










No comments:

Post a Comment