Friday, July 1, 2016

Out of the Comfort Zone: Language Barriers

I am a huge advocator for doing things that bring you out of your comfort zone. Whether it's starting a new job, learning a new skill, or just doing something that you normally wouldn't, chances are, if it makes you uncomfortable, it's probably good for you.

Throughout my travels I have been in many situations that have forced me out of my comfort zone, but the one thing that probably stands out the most is traveling to a country where I experienced a language barrier.

It's probably one of the most uncomfortable things ever. Imagine going to a country where you can't understand anyone and they can't understand you. It sounds challenging, and it definitely is at first, but I can't express how important it is to travel to at least one place that speaks a language that you don't speak as well. Here's why:

1). You adapt surprisingly fast

I'm not going to lie, at first it is a bit awkward. But once you're thrown in the fire and you have to interact with people, order food, and read street signs in this new unknown language, you become flooded with new information. And surprisingly, it sticks.

When I was in Peru, I found myself in many situations where the local people tried to make small talk with me. In the beginning, I knew absolutely no Spanish, so I was constantly lost in conversation, and "No entiendo," became the go-to phrase for me. However, after a couple of weeks, I began understanding some of the questions people were asking me. At a restaurant, one of the waiters began talking to me and we ended up talking for more than an hour and playing Jenga. When I couldn't figure out a word in Spanish I would say it in English, and if he understood he would give me the translation. It was honestly a great way to improve my Spanish, and I learned so much in that one conversation. The more you interact with people, the faster you learn.

I'm definitely far from fluent in Spanish, but after a month in Peru I felt confident that I could get around and knew the essentials of the language. If I spent one more month there, I think I could be fluent. It is true that the best way to learn a new language is to go to the country itself.


2). You appreciate everything more.

Once you begin to pick up this new language while visiting a new country, you learn to have a whole new appreciation for the country, the language, and the culture. I often found that because it was difficult to do simple everyday things like order food and talk to a taxi driver, it just felt so rewarding when I could successfully do these things.

And most of the time people will go out of their way to help you if you are seriously struggling. Usually, people are very tolerant and understanding, and it's always nice to find genuine people that are willing to help you.



3). You learn to trust your instincts

When you can't understand what people are saying, it is true that you need to rely a bit on your common sense to get you through certain situations. For example, when I was in Vietnam, I experienced a lot of problems with the language barrier. And because Vietnamese isn't the easiest language to learn, I struggled in a lot of situations, mostly with the taxi drivers.

A lot of taxis in Vietnam are known for scamming tourists, simply because they don't know the language. They increase their taxi meters at a very fast rate, so after a 5 minute drive one of the taxi drivers was asking me to pay nearly $100 for the fare. If I knew Vietnamese, this definitely wouldn't have happened, but because I knew something wasn't quite right, I saw it coming and knew to be more careful for the next time.

Sometimes not knowing the language can make situations very difficult, and the locals will oftentimes try and take advantage of that. So, you always need to have your guard up and watch out for scammers and people who will try and fuck you over because it will happen. But just because you can't understand what people are saying doesn't mean that you can't understand what is happening. You need to rely on your self sometimes, which is a great trait to have, especially traveling solo.


4). It sets you apart from others.

Not many people are usually willing to go to a country where they know there will be some sort of language barrier. The thought is very unsettling for most people, so if you do choose to go to a country that speaks another language, it really sets you apart from other people. It is a brave thing to do, and I think people, especially potential employers, will look at that as something that makes you different from everyone else. It's definitely a conversation starter and a great thing to bring up in job interviews.


Breaking out of your comfort zone is never easy, but it is always rewarding. Actually, that is the best word for me to describe traveling to a country with a language barrier: rewarding. You learn all of these new personal and social skills, and on top of that, learning a new language is always a plus. So don't let the  uncomfortable thought of a language barrier discourage you from traveling, it's all the more reason why you should do it.






No comments:

Post a Comment